Police Patrol Officer
The Lewistown Police Department is now accepting applications for the position of Police Patrol Officer.
The following qualifications must be met by the applicants:
- Be able to legally work in the United states.
- Have, or be able to obtain prior to hiring, a valid Montana Drivers License.
- Meet minimum age requirements.
- Have High School Diploma or GED
- Must not have a felony conviction on record.
- Be of good moral character, as determined by a thorough background investigation.
- Preference will be given to those individuals with Montana P.O.S.T. Council Basic Certificate, and or two
years or more of college, and or two years or more of military service with an honorable discharge.
This position includes, but is not limited to, the following basic duties:
This position is involved in law enforcement activities encompassing crime prevention, investigations,
arrests, and traffic regulations, providing basic police functions and duties. It requires occasional
strenuous physical exertion, contact with undesirable physical conditions, and the proper care and use of
safety equipment and procedures to prevent injury. This position will require frequent contact with the
Successful applicants will be required to work a rotating schedule, including but not limited to day, evening
and midnight shifts. There will be a mandatory 1-year probation period.
Starting salary will be $19.93 per hour, plus 12 hour shift pay, 2190 hours per year for a total of $43,646.
If POST certified with three years experience, a higher starting salary is available. Shift differential of
$2.00 per hour for night shifts worked. Overtime of time and one half for any time worked over normal
scheduled hours, time and one half for any holiday worked, double time and one half overtime on
holidays, 120 hours paid vacation, 80 hours paid holiday, 96 hours sick leave per year. Health insurance
is provided by the City of Lewistown. Uniforms, including weapon, plus $600.00 per year uniform
maintenance and city contribution to the Police Officers Retirement System is provided. Employees must
become members of AFSCME local 1441.
Testing for selected applicants will be held as soon as possible following the closing date. The testing can
consist of a written exam, a pass/fail physical abilities test and an oral interview. Only selected applicants
will be invited to attend.
Things that must be included with your application are as follows:
* Copy of Birth Certificate
* Copy of high school and college diplomas including transcripts
* All attachments must be signed and returned
* Copy of discharge papers, (DD-214) if applicable
* Any other documents that you feel will help in your selection
Open until filled.
Medical Insurance (95% of employee premium paid by employer), Uniform/equipment allowance,
vacation, sick leave, paid holidays, retirement plan, and more.
Obtain MT POST Standard Application, Release Forms, and other required documents from Lewistown
Job Service. Complete and return with all required materials to your local Job Service (original signatures
are required). Open until filled. Per employer's announcement, your application packet must include
copies of documents listed in the official Job Posting (not this summary).
CITY OF LEWISTOWN